Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did they wait?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squareceo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Why did they wait? Reply with quote

Why have they decided to wait until December 8th to inform us of this? This gives us very little time to transfer if we have to. I am a freshman EE major and I do not want to pay what equates to 60,000 dollars for one semester of Tulane, and what might turn up to be just a diploma from LSU. They should at least give us a free semester or something. Cowen's reason for us having to pay Tulane for this current semester was because we are Tulane students even if we aren't there. But now we really aren't considered students seeing how we aren't getting a diploma from them.
Pettitman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Five undergraduate programs—Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Exercise and Sport Sciences—will be eliminated at the end of the 2006–2007 academic year. The faculties of the School of Engineering and of Liberal Arts and Sciences will be divided into two new schools, the School of Science and Engineering and the School of Liberal Arts.

May of 2007 = plenty of time to transfer. I'm just clarifying, it doesn't make this any less crappy.
altman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“It has been a long process that has been evolving since the week after the hurricane,” Greer said.

http://www.tulane.edu/newwave/120905_board.html
Kevin Whitaker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettitman wrote:
• Five undergraduate programs—Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Exercise and Sport Sciences—will be eliminated at the end of the 2006–2007 academic year. The faculties of the School of Engineering and of Liberal Arts and Sciences will be divided into two new schools, the School of Science and Engineering and the School of Liberal Arts.

May of 2007 = plenty of time to transfer. I'm just clarifying, it doesn't make this any less crappy.

That's actually not true. Tulane will stop offering engineering classes to current sophmores as of the summer semester. That means the engineering school class of '08 is out as of the end of this academic year. Needless to say, so are the freshmen. The only students who will be able to take engineering classes are the juniors, specifically those able to finish their degrees by may of 2007.
swarner1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Withdrawing from Tulane Reply with quote

Did anyone notice how close this announcement is to the withdrawl end date? Is this just a quincidence? And if we need to transfer the requirements for the school we end up at will most likely differ from tulane's meaning we need to switch soon so we don't fall behind. This is really not how i pictured my freshman year going.
Dr. H

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Excited? Reply with quote

Did anyone read this link: http://www.tulane.edu/newwave/120905_board.html?

Tulane Board of Administrators chair-elect Philip Greer says this plan is "wonderful for Tulane" and "a terrific plan".

He goes on to tout how much good is being done for Xavier. Xavier students complete engineering degrees in TULANE'S 3+2 program with Xavier!

Board chair Cathy Pierson says she's “extremely excited."

Astonishing, siimply astonishing.
Dr. H

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Courses Being Offered Reply with quote

Kevin Whitaker wrote:
Pettitman wrote:

That's actually not true. Tulane will stop offering engineering classes to current sophmores as of the summer semester. That means the engineering school class of '08 is out as of the end of this academic year. Needless to say, so are the freshmen. The only students who will be able to take engineering classes are the juniors, specifically those able to finish their degrees by may of 2007.

That is not quite correct, at least in EECS. We will have both frehmen and sophomores in the spring. Some can't transfer because of the timing and others the financial aid packages. We WILL be teaching 100 and 200 level courses in the spring 2006. I'm sure that for the 2006-2007 year we won't be teaching any frosh courses, and possibly not any sophomore ones. But for the upcoming semester we will have a complete slate of courses for EECS students.

Dr. H.
squareceo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Bill Reply with quote

I also find it funny to have the tuition bill to be sent on the same day as the engineering letter many of us have recieved. I owe 15,000 dollars toTulane by the 30th of this month to continue my education. It seems as if they are pressuring us as much as possible to make a hasty decision so that they may recieve more money. I think we should get some sort of deferrment or something.
Dr. H

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Courses Being Offered Reply with quote

Kevin Whitaker wrote:
Pettitman wrote:

That is not quite correct, at least in EECS. We will have both frehmen and sophomores in the spring. Some can't transfer because of the timing and others the financial aid packages. We WILL be teaching 100 and 200 level courses in the spring 2006. I'm sure that for the 2006-2007 year we won't be teaching any frosh courses, and possibly not any sophomore ones. But for the upcoming semester we will have a complete slate of courses for EECS students.

Dr. H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: