Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An earlier Cowen farce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddog61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: An earlier Cowen farce Reply with quote

I had the misfortune of being employed, along with 15 other people, by Tulane about 5 years ago. I can really sympathize with what the Engineering faculty, students and alumni are going through but it does not suprise me because we learned long ago that Cowen, his board and his administrators ARE NOT to be trusted. Our department was responsible for implementing an advanced Student Information System that was conceived to be a system "for students, not just about students". It would have had over 100 web-pages that students could access for grades, transcripts, schedules, financial aid, applications, etc.

The bottom line is that people were hired away from good jobs by Tulane with the promise that this project would be funded adequately. Over time, financial shortcomings originating in other (better politcally protected) areas of the university led Cowen to arbitrarily slash the project budget to less than half of it's original amount (the true cost to complete). Needless to say, this eventually made the project un-doable and at least 10 people lost their jobs. Tulane wasted over six million dollars in the process.

Trust me when I say that no one working for Cowen has the courage to stand up to him and argue for what is right. The board is also either duped by him or left clueless and information-less as to the real state of affairs within the administration. Having allways held Tulane in high esteem, I couldn't be more disappointed with the dictator they've chosen to run the place. Many people who worked there were severely dis-illusioned with the dishonesty of Cowen and his administratores. Good luck in getting your programs and school back!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Voice YOUR Opinon All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: