Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cowen's Recent Email

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Kensell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Cowen's Recent Email Reply with quote

I think all students just received a letter from Scott Cowen about the renewal plan. He mentions in this letter that he will be addressing us the first week of school about the plan, and that he will personally be meeting with us affected students.

Here is an interesting quote:

"While these changes are the result of Katrina, for the vast majority of
you they will either have no impact, or they will make your experience
at Tulane an even more profound and valuable one. However, for those
students in programs that are being phased out, I understand that our
recent decisions have impacted you personally and created new concerns.
Please know that we are continually working to find ways to minimize any
adverse impact. This week we will be addressing the most pressing issues
for those affected students."

also:

"In addition, I will personally meet with all affected students to
further explain our changes and how we can move forward together.
Finally, I will also meet with your student leaders next week to give
them a full briefing."

Let's just hope that his "continual work" to "minimize adverse impact" actually helps us. I look forward to this personal meeting with Cowen himself, but I just hope I don't lose my cool and go crazy on him...

And I'm looking forward to a fun-filled week of announcements "addressing the most pressing issues for those affected students."... that ought to be interesting...
ggreen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cowen sent out this email to try to curb our momentum. If we wait for him to explain in January, it will be too late. Don't let him do that. Don't let him push us aside with "I'll explain in January." Demand answers now.
noladave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree about Cowen - he's famous for the "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" mentality.

You must organize, get people (and lots of money) behind you.

That is the only way he & the board will listen.

Make sure you have 1 voice, too. A rally (with media coverage) would help.
clayalexander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this info and deciphering would be useful to have on the news in the main page.
Dr. H.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: A Very Personal Note Reply with quote

OK troops. I'm tired, it's been a long 5 days for all of us. We buried MB's mom Thursday and there are a lot of emotions near the surface. Tulane's call came on our drive back from the cemetery-literally. But I read the posts, the letters, and hear from "my kids," and it moves me to tears again. You have done so much-all on your own. You've displayed courage, character, creativity, and commitment. I couldn't be prouder if each of you were my own child. If Tulane's SoE is to be saved, it will be because of you. Neither the faculty nor alums have marshalled the stand that you have; that's not a slam on then, just a recognition of the speed with which you all organized and took a stand.

There are many faculty members whose families and careers are in disarry. I thank you on their behalf. And Justin and Will and the STE committee are awesome.

I started this note some time ago. I've reread it and asked myself why I wrote it. Then I got a note from a Freshman who talked about how he came to know and love Tulane and that shook me out of my depression. You are the reason most of us value our time at Tulane. Let's all keep working to make that association continue and thanks to all of you for being part of our lives.

Dr. H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: