Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Executive House Manager

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlefante

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Executive House Manager Reply with quote

A new job listing appeared at the Human Resources website sometime after the last round of staff cuts. It appears Cowen needs someone to look after his little cottage:

http://www.profilesams.com/index.asp?siteid=TULNAMS

Quote:
Office of the President is seeking a qualified candidate to manage all aspects of the operation, maintenance, and upkeep of the President's home to include, but not be limited to, providing support for numerous events held each year.
The qualified candidate must possess a high school diploma or equivalent; some college exposure strongly preferred. A current Louisiana driver's license is also required. Other qualifications are: minimum two years directly related experience in a senior house management position and/or service skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, a good command of the spoken and written English language, as well as the ability to interact courteously with individuals and/or groups at all different levels. Proficient computer skills, proven track record of good work attendance are required. Must be able to work evenings and weekends, perform physical work in the performance of assigned responsibilities, supervise and lead others effectively, flexible to respond calmly to interruptions, deadlines and changes.

...It can be found under "Available Positions" and "Administrative / Clerical" I'm sorry I couldn't provide a direct link, but I couldn't get them to work.
perturbed1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you look a little like Uncle Ben and can "Yaz suh Masta Scott!" that would be even better.

The ideal candidates:

Tenured faculty go. House servants get hired. It is nice to know that in these financially strained times we have our priorities straight.

We'll have our drinks on the veranda.
wclarkson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the university could not add staff members (i.e. grow in number) under 'financial exigency' guidlines. They would first have to look at staff members who are slated for elimination before looking outside the university itself. I might be misreading the rules though. Staff != Faculty, so I very well might be incorrect. But, morally, I claim that the institution should look inside itself to fill this position. If they hire outside of the university, it could strengthen the faculty's legal case against the university, atleast in the eye's of a jury.

Of particular interest in the AAUP Guidelines ( Section IV.B.3.b) is this paragraph:
"If the administration issues notice of an intention to terminate the appointment of a particular faculty member because of financial exigency, the faculty member shall have the right to a full hearing before a faculty committee. The hearing need not conform in all respects with a proceeding conducted pursuant to Section VI, but the essentials of an on-the-record adjudicative hearing shall be observed. The issues in this hearing may include:

The existence and extent of the condition of financial exigency (The burden will rest on the administration to prove the existence and extent of the condition. The findings of a faculty committee in a previous proceeding on this issue may be introduced.);

The validity of the educational judgments and the criteria for identification for termination (The recommendations of the faculty body should be accepted.);

Whether the criteria are being properly applied in the individual case."

One of the best paragraphs in that same document is this one:

"The faculty or an appropriate faculty body shall also exercise primary responsibility in determining the criteria for identifying the individuals whose appointments are to be terminated. The criteria may appropriately include considerations of age and of length service."

You have to love an administration that just disregards the rules it has sworn (or at least said in the past that it intends to follow) to follow without considering the people that it affects. God help us all if administrations are allowed to do whatever they want just because they deem it 'right' for the group as a whole.
wckirby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Position List
Click a job posting number to return to the home page to log on or register and then apply.

Tulane University (New Orleans, Louisiana) more info
Executive House Manager more info
100092 - Full Time Salary: $21,568-$31,273 - Office of the President

http://www.profilesams.com/openinglist.asp?PositionTypeID={371B71AB-37A6-42C0-9867-5EFE7DE98F28}
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
gwlaw88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewing other jobs listed on that site, it appears Tulane is hiring someone to deal with FEMA to the tune of a salary up to $60k. I would assume that if they are planning to pay someone such a large salary, then Tulane is expecting alot from FEMA. They are also hiring an attorney who specializes in insurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: