Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kiss Me, I'm a Semi-Specialized Scientist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoEven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Kiss Me, I'm a Semi-Specialized Scientist Reply with quote

Even though they claim that these discontinued courses will offered through May 2007, consider that with each semester, the people requesting these classes will diminish. By the time I, a junior, reach senior level classes, there will not be any of the specialized courses that I chose Tulane for. They will fill us up with mandatory, generic senior courses. If you read the original letters, our graduation requirements have changed, and each graduation will be determined on a case by case. In other words, theyll do whatever it takes to get rid of us, even if it means passing us with a community college education. I doubt the eecs faculty will hang out until May 2007 while their time to find a new school diminishes. They are as screwed by this as we are.

By the way, I just found my "Kiss Me, I'm an Engineer" t-shirt from e-week last year. This year it might read "Kiss Me, I'm a Semi-Specialized Scientist".
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that it is illegal to change degree requirements once you have declared a major thus entering a legally binding contract with the University. If this has truly happened to those who have officially declared, legal action could potentially be taken. Im not exactly sure but it sounds like it could fall under breach of contract.
Thanks,
Will
Dr. H.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Degree Requirements Reply with quote

I'm not a lawyer. But I have always been taught that students have the right to graduate under the program requirements in place when they entered the programs. We're always juggling published materials when we make curriculum changes and making transition plans for students who came in before the changes.

What is needed is an attorney familiar with both Louisiana law and the law regarding educational institutions. Is any one of those or have a parent/alum who is?

Dr. H.
TwoEven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread the Lofton's original letter, and I realize that I had misunderstood it the first time I read it. However, are these the university/eecs standard requirements, or can I hold them to my signed major declaration requirements? Of course, the latter is much more specific. Without that, they could force us all to take the same four CPSC 4xx courses, etc, without any regard to specialized courses that we came to Tulane to take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: