Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baton rouge news, lefton's misquote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwoEven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: baton rouge news, lefton's misquote? Reply with quote

These two articles appeared in the Baton Rouge Advocate, and have an air towards our cause. The first link has a few more numbers on it, and a reference to the insurance. The second link is to the article that Lefton claims he was misquoted on.

200 MORE WORKERS CUT AT TULANE ... (Story 01/13/06)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LA_TULANE_LAYOFFS_LAOL-?SITE=LABAT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

PROGRAM'S RETURN TO TULANE SOUGHT... (Story 01/14/06)
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2201087.html

Quote:
“You don’t develop a program to fix a problem for tomorrow. You develop a program to build a national reputation in the long run,” Lefton said. “Engineering is an area of study we no longer wish to be involved in.”

See you at the rally.
dschof

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Email response disputing quote Reply with quote

Below is an email I just received that disputes the quote from the Baton Rouge Advocate. The response shows a complete lack of understanding on Lefton's part. It's not the article that causes me pain or concern; it's the ridiculous decision to destroy the School of Engineering.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Engineering Alumnus:

In response to my concern over a quote attributed to Provost Lefton in a January 14 Baton Rouge Advocate article, he has written the following message which I am sharing with you, our faculty/staff, our students, and Engineering alumni.

Nick Altiero

Dean, Tulane University School of Engineering

----- Forwarded message from Lester Lefton <Lefton@tulane.edu> -----

Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:49:03 -0600

Subject: Misquote of the day

To: "Nicholas J. Altiero" <altiero@tulane.edu>

Nick,

I am distressed to read what I supposedly said in today¹s Baton Rouge Advocate. The reporter not only misquoted me, but clearly chose to negatively and selectively take words out of context which painted a wrong impression of Tulane's (and my) intentions with respect to growing the engineering and science platform.

Of course, I did tell her that we were no longer going to admit students into the the three departments that had been cut and that we were no longer going to focus on THESE AREAS of engineering. She wrote ³Engineering is an area of study we no longer wish to be involved in.² What she obviously left out was THESE AREAS and wound up saying that I said we were not going to do engineering.

Nick, not only did the article put the wrong slant on things, but you know that President Cowen and I are deeply committed to growing and enhancing the science and engineering platform. We have spent hours talking with you about ways that we can move forward into the future enhancing the programs that exist, retaining and recruiting top-notch faculty, and looking into other areas of science and especially engineering in which we think we can be especially successful.

I am sorry if the article has caused you, your students, or alumni any pain or concern; newspaper reporters write articles that try to sell papers and this often is done with subtle, selective distortions.

Lester

Lester A. Lefton | Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost _____________________________________________________

200 Gibson Hall
6823 St. Charles Avenue
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118
phone 504 865 5261
email lefton@tulane.edu
web http://provost.tulane.edu
doreilly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just spoke to the reporter and she 100% guaranteed me that HE WAS NOT MISQUOTED. Let's look at the quote as Lefton claims:

These areas engineering is an area of study we no longer wish to be involved in.

Doesn't sound to good.

Maybe they should also consider reinstating their English Phd program, which was also axed.
ggreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was floored that he thought the complaint was that it sounded like they didn't want ChemE or BME either.
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he was misquoted. I think he was trying to save his...well you know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: