Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index Save Tulane Engineering
The Weblog of Tulane Students and Alumni Concerned about Engineering’s Future at Tulane University

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newcomb Sued the Administration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Hoffman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Newcomb Sued the Administration Reply with quote

Check it out:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-newcomb16mar16,1,7049458.story?coll=la-headlines-nation
wwalkeri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very impressive article. All I am going to say is why haven't we moved forward and sued for an injunction for the SoE?
wckirby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1142495565308790.xml

Times-Pic article about the elimination of Newcomb.
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
jmikowski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that in the La Times one the damage is estimated at $250 million and the nola one $150 million....thats quite a difference.
wckirby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the Board did something today. I've been told the lawyers got an injunction against Tulane from doing anything irrovocable at today's Board meeting. Does whatever they did today violate the judge's injunction?
Mechanical Engineering Class of '06
gwlaw88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wckirby wrote:
So, the Board did something today. I've been told the lawyers got an injunction against Tulane from doing anything irrovocable at today's Board meeting. Does whatever they did today violate the judge's injunction?

Newcomb sues Tulane alleging $41M trust misuse
By April Capochino Staff Writer

2006-03-16 9:44 AM CST

NEW ORLEANS — A group of Newcomb College students and alumnae filed a lawsuit Wednesday in federal court against Tulane University to keep Tulane from eliminating H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College and absorbing a nearly $41-million endowment.

“Newcomb offered (women) a chance to plan a successful future,” said Paige Gold, a 1977 Newcomb graduate and a plaintiff in the lawsuit. “We need our own support systems to help us to succeed. A Tulane without Newcomb may be a good school but it will never be the first-class institution it once was.”

The case will be heard March 30 to consider the plaintiff’s motion for injunction. The consortium of women and alumnae want time to convince Tulane University President Scott Cowen and the Board of Administrators to look for other options.

In the interim, Judge J. Carl Barbier told Tulane to refrain from “doing anything that couldn’t be undone in short order.”

Under the Dec. 8 “Renewal Plan” launched by Cowen and the board, Newcomb College would be eliminated in the fall and all undergraduates would be enrolled through Tulane University.

There are about 2,000 students now enrolled in Newcomb.

The lawsuit claims Tulane’s board does not have the authority to redefine the name of Newcomb College or reassign its funding in order to restructure a post-Katrina Tulane.

Cowen and members of the board were not immediately available for comment while attending board meetings until about noon today, Tulane officials said.

Lester Lefton, senior vice president for academic affairs and provost of Tulane
mpoole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status on our suit? Is there even one? If not, now would probably be a good idea to get in on one since Newcomb is already doing it.
smyers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Legal Action Reply with quote

All,

I am a young attorney working in New Orleans that graduated from the School of Engineeing in 2002. I would be happy to help file an injunction against the Tulane Board, but someone would have to put me in the loop.

SOMEONE PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION! I would be happy to call the attorneys that recently filed suit for Newcomb and see if we can consolidate our cases. It sounds to me like the Newcomb suit and our potential suit would be very similar in substance, but I simply don't know enough of the facts.

I would be happy to offer my services for free. SOMEONE PLEASE CALL ME!

Stephen Myers
Irwin, Fritchie, Urquhart and Moore LLC
400 Poydras Street
Suite 2700
New Orleans, Louisiana
504-310-2114 - direct dial
504-310-2101 - fax
smyers@irwinllc.com - work
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, I am sending your message to the legal committee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Save Tulane Engineering Forum Index -> Tulane Students, Faculty, Alumni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: